BTU Analytics is a team of curious, highly driven individuals who want to figure out the answers to the most complex questions in the energy industry. Our business is to deliver critical, timely analysis of fundamental information to our client base of private equity, producers, midstream companies and end users through thoughtful products and customized analytics. The company was born out of a desire to innovate and analyze what matters to the market now and in the future. Team members at BTU Analytics are given the opportunity to explore the energy industry from the unique perspective of advising the most influential participants in the market.
As a member of our data team, you will be critical to the success of BTU Analytics as data is the foundation of our market-leading analysis. Our data team is responsible for collecting, processing and maintaining data; data analysis; application development and maintenance for the support of our analytics team; and maintaining IT infrastructure. The focus of the data engineer is the design and maintenance of scalable data pipelines and ETL processes, with an emphasis on transforming data into clean, normalized forms for use in analysis, as well developing data validation solutions to ensure data quality and benchmarking. Our data team works closely with our analysts to learn what the data means so that its collection and processing is most useful to our team and clients. The role requires a high level of collaboration between analysts and other members of the data team, so the patience to explain technical concepts to analysts with various backgrounds and willingness to learn about the energy business is essential to success in the role.
The data team supports critical applications and infrastructure that are essential to the timely delivery of our analysis, so regular, reliable attendance during the work day is key, as is the willingness to occasionally work evenings or weekends if problems arise and external deadlines require immediate action. The flexibility of our team is a key differentiator for BTU Analytics, so effective professional communication and maintaining healthy working relationships with co-workers as individual and team priorities shift is essential.
- Experience with data extraction, data cleansing, data wrangling, ETL processes and tools
- Experience with SQL programming, preferably MSSQL database development
- Proficient in at least one coding language, preferably Python
- Hands-on coding, data validation and testing
- Experience working with large datasets
- Basic mathematical and statistical analysis experience
- Strong documentation skills
- Analyze new assignments, develop scripts and test to validate data
- Create innovative solutions to improve productivity and scalability
- Ability to think critically in a high-pressured environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, working independently and as part of a team
- Take on complete projects and see them through to acceptance
- A “client-first” mentality
- Proactive nature
- Team player
Qualifications for Data Engineer
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Computer Information Systems, Data Science or related field of study or equivalent experience.